August 28, 2007

Chinese, my ass.

The Martin Luther King Memorial Causes a Stir

A Chinese sculptor has been chosen to carve a monument three storeys high on the National Mall in Washington, where it will be placed between the Lincoln and Jefferson Memorials. But a loose-knit and growing group of critics is demanding that a black sculptor, or at least an American, should have been chosen. The protesters have been joined by human rights advocates who say King would have abhorred the Chinese government's record on religious and civil liberties.


Right. Right. Because MLK said "eff acceptance" and was all about hatred and prejudice.

I get the whole "he'd abhor the Chinese government's record blah blah blah" but . . . I'm pretty sure this sculptor was picked for a reason, no? Perhaps, skill? Isn't it a bit effed to go after this guy because of his nationality, skin color, religious beliefs?

I'm deeply confused. (That's obvious.)

UPDATE:

Betsy needs to start a blog. Yes, she does. (Yes, I'm a blog-pusher.) An example of her smarts:

I think people waste too much time getting upset up about too many things instead of picking their battles. While I'm happy and thankful to live in a country where we can voice our opinions without fear of reprisal, I still think we should learn when to fight and when to keep our traps shut.


Hot friggin' damn. Word, Bootsy. Word.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think we can all agree, however, that a sculpture of MLK shouldn't contain MSG.

I'm sorry, I can't tell a joke...