January 9, 2008

Eat this.

I’ve been wanting to blog for awhile. I've had a lot on my mind. I’ve been tossing back and forth the resolutions everyone is so fond of making around this time. I’ll lose weight, I’ll eat better, I’ll keep in better touch, I’ll work on the debt, I’ll try not to end up drunk and topless, etc.

I've concluded that what I really want this year is less stress. I don’t want so much panic in 2008. I don’t want the worry and the ache and the upset. I need some peace.

Sure, I’d love to drop a couple sizes . . . but the peace, that’s first and foremost. I’m going to work on reworking my life. I need some reconfiguration. I need to clean up and sort through the mess.

I’m expecting that when Elizabeth Gilbert wrote Eat, Pray, Love, she meant to do just that. And she did, I’m assuming . . .

It’s not the right time in my life to be reading this book. I’m halfway through it and, while well-written, it’s doing more to piss me off than anything else. Honestly, I’d just like to sucker punch Miss. (Ms.?) Gilbert . . . or at least look her straight in the face and give her a good, loud “Wah.”

It’s just way too hard for me right now to feel for someone who can afford to drop everything (job, belongings, responsibilities) and get paid (in advance) for a book she’s going to write about the year-long trip she’s ABOUT to take to Italy and India and wherever. Seriously. Seriously? Fuck. That.

But perhaps I’m being too harsh. Maybe I should understand how upsetting it is that she can’t meditate as well as everyone else at some Ashram in India. Maybe I should understand that the only way she will get over her depression, lack-of-self, and loneliness is to drop out of her life and spend loads of money on a trip around the world. MAYBE someone ought to tell Miss. Fancypants about sucking it up. Some of us have other things to worry about, like, say, oh, trying to keep a roof over one’s head, whilst having no money in their bank account. And although, I'd love to learn how to do this while pulling a fancy yoga pose, comefuckingon.

See? WRONG time to be reading this book. And THAT is why I’ve put it down. One must know when to walk away.

I’m going to try picking it up again when I feel less rage (read: sometime in 2008 . . . one can only hope).

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Here here! There were two high-maintenance types talking about that book at my audition yesterday morning. I wanted to stab them to death with a knitting needle. Because I knit...

half drunk on static said...

I happen to be reading said book as well, and I heartily agree with you. That's why I'm writing my book, a poignant memoir of escaping crushing student loan debt, titled "Eat, Work, Sleep." Look for me on Oprah!