July 24, 2009

A hundred freedoms fell on her.

I think this book may be a little too fancy for me but I must admit she can turn a phrase.

In the past few years she had let go her ties to people she did not like, to ironing, to dining out in town, and to buying things not necessary and that themselves needed care. She ignored whatever did not interest her. With those blows she opened her days like a piƱata. A hundred freedoms fell on her. She hitched free years to her lifespan like a kite tail. Everyone envied her the time she had, not noticing that they had equal time.

The Maytrees, Annie Dillard

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

she's not too fancy for you and is rather fantastic. oddly enough, she grew up in our neighborhood and wrote one of my favorite poems, stitched together from vincent van gogh letters.

keep reading.

signed, a nerd in western pennsylvania

Unknown said...

I don't like that kind of freedom talk.

Kate said...

Wow. I have to read this now.