April 23, 2007

So much love, so little time.

My taxi ride last night was enlightening . . . as they should be. I sat in the back, the window rolled all the way down, taking in how amazing this city is, and I realized how good I have it.

I just spent a weekend in Virginia. I spent time with my Mum, I spent time with my lovely friend Farrah and her cute-as-can-be tot, I saw my tall-as-can-be sister. I love Virginia. I love the people I have there. It smells good there. It smells like growing up.

I’m always struck by how much I love this city, too. I see the skyline from the train and I’m still amazed that this is home. I’m honored by it. I love that I’ve found such comfort here. I've found important people here. I've found my (space) self here.

There are things I want. There are things I wish I had. There are financial messes I need to get out of. There are shopping habits I need to get counseling for (major counseling). There’s that new job I need to find. There are 10 pounds I’d love to lose . . . but then there’s my family. And my friends. And my health. And the warm weather. And new people to meet . . .

Pessimism Shmessimism.

Good God, I sound like a fruitcake.

3 comments:

Cristina said...

Did someone say fruity cake?? Where?? Gimmegimmegimme!!!

Unknown said...

That's funny, because New York, to me, smells like urine. And oddly that reminds me of growing up.

mugwatch said...

There really isn't anything like a urine-soaked memory, is there?