July 2, 2007

Books books books books books books . . .

Right smack in the middle of reading The Boleyn Inheritance AS WELL AS The Memory Keeper's Daughter. Both quite lovely so far. I would love to just sit down and read a book from start to finish with minimal pauses. (Minimal pauses = a day or two.) Instead, the only time I seem to pick up a book anymore is on the bus on the way to work in the morning. Thus it takes me weeks or months to finish a damn book.

("Why not read at home?" you ask? Well, if I knew the answer to that, don't you think I'd finish the books a lot faster??? . . . Man, stupid questions . . .)

All of this is to say that last night I picked up yet another book off my shelves. The very stocked shelves of books that I haven't read. I have a "free book table" problem. (So shoot me. I work in Publishing. If they're not going to pay me a decent salary, I'm going to make up for it by grabbing as many books as humanly possible — or at least possible for my apartment to hold. . . . Jebus, you want to let me get through a post? Back off.) This other book would be Radical Careering. It's quite full of a number of fabulous snippets. I think it is just what my current mental state needs.

YOU CAN BE COMFORTABLE, OR OUTSTANDING, BUT NOT BOTH.

OWN YOUR CAREER. LIVE IN VERBS. DO WHAT YOU ARE. RECLAIM YOUR LIFE.

INDECISION GENERATES ANXIETY.
(um, no fucking kidding)

IT'S NICE TO BE IMPORTANT, BUT MORE IMPORTANT TO BE NICE.


I really could go on but one must stop somewhere . . .

I'm going to start reading more. I'm going to start drawing again (yes, I've said this before . . . this time I hope I mean it). I'm going to start trying to learn the guitar again (hence the brand spanking new 9V battery I bought for my tuner . . . new strings probably would have been a good idea, as well . . . as mine make my guitar sound like a dying cow at the moment . . . or maybe that's just my playing . . . wait . . .)

Basically, I need to wake the hell up. There's so much I want to do. Why am I not doing any of it?? Seriously. Seriously . . .

***

Kath: Excellent discussion tonight. Excellent cheese fries. Excellent excellent excellent.

Laura: I LOVE that you're blogging again. It makes me incredibly happy.

***

Loving this song at the moment: Waiting For My Real Life To Begin / Colin Hay
Looking forward to: Scotland! Mummy! GodMummy!
Missing: Cris . . . I've been a negligent BBBBFFFFFF. I'm a twat.

4 comments:

Kath said...

You are the rockingest. You rock hard. Kains rule. And I want to borrow this radical careering. it sounds AWESOME.

mugwatch said...

I would never call what I do "playing the guitar." It's more just sitting there banging at it like a retard. (No offense to retards.)

Unknown said...

Just for the record, "minimal pauses" is what chipmunks have. You know, pause, paws. Yeesh, I stink.

Kath said...

hey Gabe, why the big pause? (snort).